Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Wicked Cupcakes & Sweet Card


How do you make a homemade cupcake even better? Add tequila and turn them into Margarita Cupcakes, that's how!



As you can imagine, I'm quite excited to give these a try. We have a Mexican/Spanish themed celebration to attend on Saturday and part of attending is to bring a theme item for the potluck. I'm going to take some Super Taco Dip and these adult cupcakes. Our week is looking so busy, though, that I whipped up the cupcakes and tossed them into the freezer to pull out on Friday for frosting.

I saw these on Baking Bites and couldn't resist. They're originally for a Vegan cupcake, but that meant another "special" ingredient, so I substituted regular ol' cow's milk. Seemed to work just fine….I feel like I should give them a go before taking them to Fiesta, but that would mean an additional dozen to make since this is already a small recipe at a single 12 cupcakes.

When dividing the batter into the muffin liners, one may be inclined to taste this alcohol infused batter. If you do, I relinquish all responsibility for any further taste testing because the sweet, lime and tequila is pretty irresistible. If that was something I was into. But I'm not. Really.

It was just a taste…don't judge me. You know you'd do it if nobody was looking.
I think I may need an intervention. My baking is getting in the way of my drinking. I mean….well, you get the idea. Send help.

Margarita Cupcakes
(adapted from
Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World)

1/4 cup lime juice
1 1/2 tsp lime zest (1 lime)
1 cup milk (this is where you can use soymilk - plain or vanilla)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp tequila
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Fill a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.In a large bowl, mix together lime juice, lime zest, (soy)milk, oil , tequila, vanilla and sugar.In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to lime mixture and stir until just combined. Divide evenly into muffin tins.Bake for 20-24 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed.Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

I’ll post the frosting when I make it…unless you’re so inclined to make yourself a batch of these drool inducing babies…then head on over to Baking Bites for the rest of the recipe!

The next card I want to share is from this week's Sketch for You to Try
This was the sketch:

And my interpretation (complete with a little smudge, so I had her toss a few popcorn kernels - hey, I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination!):


Stamps: PMSabella, Mini Mates
Paper: Pink Pirouette, Chocolate Chip, Whisper White, Kiwi Kiss, Bella Birds
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Basic Black, SU! Markers
Accessories: Nestabilities, Liquid Applique

6 comments:

  1. Love that Bella!
    I never would have even known that the extra popcorn wasn't supposed to be there...looks great to me!
    The cupcakes sound delish, I really think that you should make another batch for sampling purposes and keep one in the freezer for this little piggy over here...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! These sound just too good! Cute cute card! TFS! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this card is adorable, but the cupcakes sound even better. Margarita cupcakes??? Yummmm.... I'm not even a baker and I'm going have to mess up the kitchen to do some drinking. . . . I mean baking!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment =) Be sure to include your blog info so I can check out what you arere up to, as well!
~Tanis